[lug] OLPC Will Ship With Windows XP

David Kritzberg david.kritzberg at colorado.edu
Fri May 16 18:06:03 MDT 2008

I'd like to know more about why Egypt and other countries said they
wanted Windows.  I think there may be a political economy angle here
that Microsoft is exploiting with these governments to get them to
force Windows on their people.

2-3 years ago, a legislator in a south american country accused MSFT
of acting like a drug dealer -- giving Windows free to the govt, which
then required all businesses filing electronic papers or exchanging
documents with the govt to comply with their Windows-only standard.
MSFT sued the legislator for defamation under a law in that country
but the suit was thrown out because the law was not meant to protect
commercial enterprises from criticism.

Because Windows costs quite a lot of money, and linux generally does
not, it seems unlikely that a linux vendor would throw in free
software, OS, and hardware to the govt, just to hook the entire
govt-business community on their OS.  But Microsoft has in the past
and would gladly continue to do this.  This is convenient for a govt
ministry, because they don't need to request funding from their
legislators, and in turn they don't need to find the revenues for
computer upgrades.

In that sense, Microsoft is indirectly taxing these countries'
business communities in exchange for giving away computing power to
their govts.  Both these govts and MSFT might prefer this arrangement
to an alternative in which the young people are primarily users of
linux.

But I imagine most of the readers on this list would agree that one of
the costs of this quid pro quo arrangement between govts of poor
countries and Microsoft is a slower rate of economic growth of those
countries.

One thing I liked about the OLPC program being linux-only is that it
would hopefully build a network of linux users in those countries, and
eventually the network externalities would overcome the initial cost
of not having compatibility with the latest .doc or .xls format, etc.
Why should the 'younger' economies imitate the infrastructure choices
of 'more advanced' economies even when the learning that has occurred
in the mean time suggests different choices will produce better
results?

Dave

* dio2002 at indra.com <dio2002 at indra.com> [2008-05-16 17:22:25 -0600]: