[lug] How to simulate static IP with openwrt/wrt54G withez-ipupdate?

Jason Schaefer js at jasonschaefer.com
Sat May 17 13:17:31 MDT 2008

Siegfried

It depends on which modem you have with comcast. Generally the
"residential modems" don't have a built in firewall. The "business
class" modems do. You can check your wan interface on the wrt, if it
has a private address like 10.1.10.x or 192.168.0.x then you know it
is behind nat/firewall. You can set your wrt wan with a static private
ip (i.e., 10.1.10.2) behind the comcast modem and then put that ip in
the DMZ. This will byepass the firewall. To do this you need to login
to the comcast modem, for instance on a motorala http://10.1.10.1
user: cusadmin pass: highspeed. Something I have noticed is that
comcast periodically forces updates for all modems on the network and
it can reset the DMZ/firewall settings. I highly recommend not using a
modem with built in firewall. I use the RCA, Scientific Atlantic or
Motorola surfboards. Otherwise you can get a static ip from comcast
and configure your wrt with the public ip, which will also bypass any
firewalling in the modem.

I would stay away from dd-wrt, its really cool for its graphical
interface options but its buggy and uses too many resources. Plus with
kamikaze its so easy to configure and have a rock solid box that will
run for ages without issue. I have implemented the dd-wrt and openwrt
in high traffic networks and the openwrt blows dd out of the water!
This looks interesting for users who want some gui ->
http://x-wrt.org/

Hope all this rambling helped!

Jason