[lug] OLPC Will Ship With Windows XP

Jordan Crouse jordan at cosmicpenguin.net
Sun May 18 17:32:02 MDT 2008

Lori Reed wrote:
> The opinions expressed here are those of Charlie Sorrel, and not my own.
> -L
>
> The $100 Linux Laptop is now a $200 Windows XP box.

<snip>

Charlie, like nearly the rest of the world, has completely missed a very
important concept.  Many others from OLPC and other places have written
many words about the nature of open source. There being nothing more
productive I can add to that discussion, I'll just quote somebody from
the OLPC mailing list:

"The golden rule says to do unto others as you would have them do to
you, not do unto others as they _did_ to you".

The *FAR* more important thing that was widely missed in the
announcement of last Thursday was that both operating systems are going
to use the OFW firmware and the source would be open (obviously).

Put plainly this means that there now exists a completely open firmware
solution that can boot and run Windows XP, something that has never been
accomplished before. This is nothing short then a immense accomplishment
and one that the open source community will greatly benefit from.  This
makes using a free and open firmware (BIOS) solution a viable commercial
option.  That is a *big* *deal*.

Take a moment from loudly decrying what is left of the OLPC leadership
and thank them for encouraging and funding a free firmware solution for
both Linux and Windows (and quite frankly, any other operating system
that wants to run on the platform).  Even now, as most of the world is
blinded with rage (like our friend Charlie), the more level headed among
us should be able to recognize that today, more then ever, this is truly
the world's most open hardware platform. Even if the platform ends up
shipping with only Windows from this point on, the open source world
will benefit far more from this project then it has sacrificed.

Jordan