[lug] Time sync w/GPS or radio

Jason Vallery jason at vallery.net
Sun May 18 18:20:55 MDT 2008

If you really need that level of precision the GPS 18 actually has a version
that can do PPS.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=223&pvID=796

GPS 18 LVC — has bare wire for connection to a variety of applications; can
output data in NMEA 0183 format (industry standard) or proprietary Garmin
format; provides a pulse-per-second logic-level output with a rising edge
aligned to within 1 microsecond of UTC time.

-J

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 5:10 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us>
wrote:

> Jason Vallery wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm a bit late to this thread, but I was working on a separate project
>>

> As long as we're posting late...
>
> [...]
>
>> If you look at the NMEA spec the data stream contains the UTC time.
>> It seems like it would be pretty trivial to write up a shell script
>> that monitors the serial interface and sets the clock based on the
>> incoming data stream.
>>

> You probably can set the clock from that and for most uses that might be
> fine.  But you won't get the accuracy or clock discipline that NTP can get
> from a PPS signal, right?
>
> (And we all know sysadmins love disciplining their clocks...)
>
> Dave

Jason Vallery
jason at vallery.net

mobile: +1.720.352.8822