[lug] FC9 DVD's?

Ben Whaley bwhaley at gmail.com
Thu May 29 07:54:07 MDT 2008

Geoff,

I'm sure you'll get a lot of varied answers on this topic, but IMHO most
popular distributions will serve this need well.

Ubuntu server edition is a great choice because of excellent package support
(anything .deb will install) and 5 years support (i.e. package updates,
especially important for security). This is as good (or better) than you'll
find almost anywhere else.

Red Hat Enterprise has excellent support options and lots of supported
advanced features, like cluster suite and Xen virtualization. This is
another good option, but it will cost $$ per node.

CentOS is a direct, free-as-in-beer-and-freedom port of Red Hat Enterprise.
It has the same features without the official support or $$.

Fedora, of course, is Red Hat's free distribution, and it's certainly as
good as any, but it's really targeted at the desktop. I don't know for sure,
but I suspect it doesn't have 5 years of support.

Somebody on the list could probably recommend Mandriva or SuSE also. In the
end, it boils down to what you're most comfortable with. Nobody could blame
you for sticking with Fedora - it's an excellent distribution, and as they
say, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

- Ben