[lug] FC9 DVD's?

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Thu May 29 17:33:19 MDT 2008

Lee> FYI Fedora 7 uses a customized setup for java. They convert
Lee> things to use gcj instead of the sun or ibm jdks. Looked like it
Lee> would be hard to use outside packages (such as jabref a
Lee> java-based bibliography manager) so I tried to install without
Lee> gcj. That was a lot of work to uninstall the gcj stuff. Maybe FC9
Lee> is more standard.

Fedora also ships IcedTea, which is based on OpenJDK.  You can choose
this instead of gcj using alternatives.  This is basically the Sun
JDK, minus a few proprietary bits, plus some free replacement bits.

gcj is still around because OpenJDK isn't ported to all the platforms
that Fedora supports.  Once those ports are done, gcj will probably be
dropped or deprecated.

I forget whether F7 or F8 was the first release to ship IcedTea.

Tom