[lug] Ubuntu 8.04 - networking

Jason Davis mohadib at openactive.org
Mon Jun 2 02:25:02 MDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 7:52 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> Jason Davis wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>  I installed XUbuntu 8.04 last night. I cant get netwroking to work. I
>> set my nic to use dhcp in /etc/network/interfaces , i then tried
>> dhclient and
>> i get no lease offer. I even tried setting the ip to be on the same
>> network as my NAT device. I still cant ping the device (or anything
>> else).
>
> I don't think interfaces is the Ubuntu way to set up networking.  But even
> if it was you'd use ifup, not dhclient.
>
> Dave

dhclient works fine too. Interface file worked with Ubuntu , I don't know if
thats still the case.

 To be more exact , I got Debian Lenny and tried it and I had the
exact same problem.
I then tried a USB card during install and all went well. I updated
via apt , removed the USB card and I'm
now using the built in Intel card.

I should mention that I fiddled with NetworkManager(Ubuntu) a good
deal , with no luck.

Heh , oh right , I should also mention I reset my BIOs too. I was
trying so much stuff in the end
that its hard to say exactly what made things work.

Just wanted to follow up,
jd