[lug] Mac unix root account and /etc/hosts

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Thu Jun 5 13:47:18 MDT 2008

thanks to all of those who posted. the links suffice.

it's sort of a catch 22 problem.  all of the approaches require that i
become user 'admin' at some point.  therein lies the problem.  they
don't know the admin password and can't find the install cd which allows
you to reset the password.

fyi, the simplest approach for those that want to know how to run root
cmds on mac os is the one specified below.

once you login as 'admin' you don't have to enable root account. you can
simply  use 'sudo' as described below.  not the best if you have to run
lots of cmds but for one offs this is the best approach imho.  it leaves
the system more locked down to prevent accidents by users that don't
know what they're doing.

thanks