[lug] Mac unix root account and /etc/hosts

Jason Vallery jason at vallery.net
Thu Jun 5 14:59:28 MDT 2008

Hi Bobby,

The only way I know to reset the admin password is to use the install disk.
If you boot off the OS X install DVD you can click through the first couple
of screens.  There you will have a "utilities" menu up top with an option
that says "reset password".  Don't reinstall the OS!.

Here is the apple support note: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1278

If you need an OS X (10.5) install DVD I can probably help you out.

-Jason

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 1:56 PM, <dio2002 at indra.com> wrote:

> just as a last ditch try.
>
> does anybody know if there is a default 'admin' password for default mac
> installs of if you're forced to even enter one?
>
> i'm not sure but i think windows doesn't force you to have a password at
> all.  fyi, i've tried all the usual suspects, including no password and
> 'admin', etc.
>

> David Morris wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 12:10 PM,  <dio2002 at indra.com> wrote:
>>
>>> any mac users out there?
>>> what is the mac account that gets you root access?
>>> how do you access it or activate it if it's not enabled?
>>> how do you reset the password if noone knows what it is?
>>>

>> Not a mac user, but I support a mac user on a regular basis,
>> so perhaps I can at least provide some minor help...
>>
>> If I remember correctly, MacOSX sets up the user account
>> with "sudo" access, which only requires the user's password,
>> not the root password.
>>
>> If that doesn't work (you don't even know the user's
>> password), boot to the install CD and choose "Reset
>> Password".
>>
>> If all the above fails (no cd), check out instructions here
>> for a couple other worst-case options:
>>
>> http://www.macobserver.com/tip/2003/06/16.1.shtml
>>
>> --David

Jason Vallery