[lug] recovering a tar file that spans CDs

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Jun 18 13:19:43 MDT 2008

It's possible, but I don't know the tools you need.  (I've played around
with archives but it was all my own code.)

Tar itself is very simple -- it's just a long sequence of 512 byte
blocks.  One header block, then data block, then another header block,
etc.  No per-archive headers and footers like zip files (for better or
worse) so you could start scanning anywhere and just look for the next
header.

Unfortunately tar doesn't directly support compression -- you just
compress the stream.  Most people don't bother resetting the compression
engine on every header so it's harder to recover from a problem -- you
have to find the reset and then scan for headers.

Zip files, in contract, compresses each file individually so recovery is
easier.

I don't know the details of how cdbackup/restore work -- it might have
decent recover tools built into it, or an external index -- but
hopefully this will give you a little more insight into your options.