[lug] Getting into OSX - much to learn

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Jun 21 23:39:05 MDT 2008

Jason Davis wrote:
> heh , you can install OSX on PC , sure the developers didn't mean for
> it too , but since
> when has that been a big concern. Moreover this post sounds like FUD.

I'd be surprised to find Nate spreading FUD.  Here's how I read what he
said:

First, it's silly to pay to run Mac OSX on unsupported hardware for
something that makes the company money.  Making money is too important
to companies to fool around with unsupported hardware.  (Admittedly
Gordon didn't say this had anything to do with making money.)

Second, if the company wants Gordon to violate the license agreement, by
not paying for it, or in this case by running OSX on non-Apple labeled
hardware, Gordon shouldn't get involved because he may be personally
liable for that.  Nate's not a lawyer but he's been around long enough
that I wouldn't tell him he's wrong without having a source to quote.
Maybe I give him too much credit.

None of that had anything to do with whether OSX *would* run on a PC,
just whether it was a reasonable thing to do in this case.

Cheers,
Dave