[lug] Simple video editing

Scott Rohling scott.rohling at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 09:42:24 MDT 2008

I think you should use whatever is easiest to deal with.  Windows Movie
Editor is a fine, easy to use program and does most of what you'd need to.
I don't see the need to take sides..  if you've already paid for a Windows
XP license - why not use it - it's just a tool, not a political choice.

To solve the dilemna of needing 2 machines or dual booting between Linux and
Windows.. I use 'VirtualBox' under Linux (I use Ubuntu for my desktop) - and
run Windows XP as a virtual machine.  Windows is just another 'window' on my
Linux workspace then.  VirtualBox also has a 'seamless' mode where instead
of having a single window for Windows - your applications actually run
separately.  For example, if I start up Media Player, it looks and feels
just like a Linux app on my Linux Desktop.

VirtualBox, VMWare, Xen - and lots of other flavors of things that let you
run other OS (Linux, Windows, Solaris, whatever) under Linux so that you
stay faithful to having a Linux controlled box and keep Windows at the
'application' level.  I find it's a good compromise.

Cheers - Scott