[lug] Broadband in Eastern/Rural Boulder County?

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Tue Jul 8 09:34:56 MDT 2008

Does any one know of Internet broadband options out in the vicinity of
95th and Valmont Rd (area code 80301) in eastern, rural Boulder County?
With SprintBroadband ending their wireless service (effectively cable
Internet over a micro-wave link) at the end of this month I am trying to
find my parents another option.

Sprint is offering a EVDO (cellular) option, but it is expensive and has
rather low usage caps (5GB).

I already checked with Mesa Networks (another wireless option) but they
don't have coverage in that area. They said there are plans to build an
antenna in Erie "soon" but they have no hard dates yet.

Qwest is showing dialup only, and Comcast is showing nothing. Haven't
looked into satellite options yet, but given their latency and up front
cost I am not too keen on them.

My parent's house is definitely out in the country, so no neighborhoods
around, and I don't think the neighbors have any Internet (most are old
farmers :). Though there are no HOA restrictions, so I am open to more
"wacky" ideas. Thanks!

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |