[lug] QoS for multiple users

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Jul 8 20:23:15 MDT 2008

Ben wrote:
> I've got ~10 computers sharing an internet connection. When someone
> downloads something, that download gets 100% of our bandwidth and the
> internet slows to a crawl for everyone else. Can QoS fix this?
>
> May setup is:
>
> 10 computers on a router     ->  dumb firewall box    ->
> ActionTec -> Internet
> 192.168.0.*                        192.168.0.1->192.168.2.2
> 192.168.2.3 -> *.*.*.*
> Ideally, I'd like to do QoS on my ActionTec, but potentially I could set
> up a linux gateway router with QoS. The dumb firewall box is a little
> Netgear with no QoS, etc. So the actiontec sees all its connections
> coming from one ip (192.168.2.2) and cannot do IP-based QoS. But I don't
> want to give ip-based priority anyway. Or port-based.  I want the
> connection using the least bandwidth to get the higher priority. So if
> there are N connections, they equally share the bandwidth. If there a
> recommended way to do this?

Look for a shell script called "wondershaper".  I use a very modified
version of it.  It's a good starting point for figuring out how to use
the "tc" command, in my opinion.

However, it doesn't directly limit off bandwidth.  I believe
wondershaper sets things up to use stochastic (random) drop when over
the rate limit.  This tends to impact TCP sessions based on their usage:
the more packets a session has in flight, the more likely it is to be hit.