[lug] Broadband in Eastern/Rural Boulder County?

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Thu Jul 10 10:03:09 MDT 2008

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Zan Lynx wrote:

> You can get IDSL anywhere in Colorado.  It is ISDN with all channels
> dedicated to data.  I have mine through SpeakEasy and it is a bit over
> $100/mo.  You get 144 Kbps which isn't great, but it is always on, and
> latency is good.

I am aware of IDSL options, I even had IDSL at my townhouse in south
Lafayette for a few years befor Qwest installed a local DSLAM. IDSL
definitely beats dial-up, but it is a bit slow and more so expensive. I am
looking to keep the cost under $50/month.

> Robert Racansky wrote:
> >
> > Wispertel shows coverage in the area, although I don't know what it's
> > like in Boulder.

Thanks for the recommendation. I had hear of Wispertel before, but thought
they were only in Northern Colorado (i.e. Fort Collins area). Just got off
the phone with them and they are pretty sure they can get a signal at my
parent's house! Looks like it will be $40/month for 1.5Mbps symmetric,
with equipment rental and a static IP (to avoid port blocking, and to make
remote trouble shooting easier).

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Nate Duehr wrote:

> There's probably more, but WisperTel and Mesa will both be around for a
> while.  They both seem to know what they're doing.

Good to hear they hire people who know what they are doing. RF can be
something of a black art and not just any person, or any geek can do it
(and I speak as an hardware/firmware EE who works for a wireless company
:).

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I will let you how things turn
out. TTYL.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |