[lug] Broadband in Eastern/Rural Boulder County?

David Howland david.howland at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 19:12:50 MDT 2008

A client of mine has a traveling storefront that goes from trade show
to trade show all summer. They previously had a satellite connection
but we moved them to two of these 3G cellular broadband cards (both
usb one from sprint one from verizon) in the spring primarily as
backup but they've ditched the satellite all together after using the
cards. Both of which attach into little routers (as said earlier) and
provide addresses via DHCP to several computers. Neither tech we spoke
to at either carrier had any issues with using multiple computers and
it was one of the techs that recommended the routers. Both work well
enough to provide real time inventory transactions with the store from
half way across the country.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:
> Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:
>
>> Looks like we are left with Sprint Mobile Broadband, 3G, so nice and fast,
>> $70/month, so not too expensive, but with a 5GB/month transfer limit, okay
>> for web surfing and email. The tricky part is that I need to share such a
>> link with multiple computers in the house. Looks like the Sierra Wireless
>> USB dongles have Linux drivers, so I should be able to whip up a Linux box
>> firewall/router. Anyone have any experience in sharing a cellular
>> connection with a network? Any recommended hardware? Thanks!
>
> There are little routers out there (relatively cheap) that you put an EVDO
> Rev A (Sprint's high speed cellular is EVDO) card into and then they then
> distribute to PCs in the area via 802.11 b/g(/n?).
>
> The thing to look out for is that all the cellular carriers have some pretty
> heavy language in their "acceptable use" clauses about amount of bandwidth
> allowed.
>
> Whether or not they're enforcing the rules seems to be a crap shoot. Some
> are worse than others.
>
> I wouldn't set your parents up with their own bittorrent server.  :-)
>
> Nate

-- David Howland
-- Please do not send me Microsoft Word or Excel attachments.
-- http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html