[lug] Red Hat 5 definitive package list

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Thu Jul 17 18:59:36 MDT 2008

Collins Richey wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Matt James <matuse at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>      Working on a project and for a specification document I need to have a
>> list of all the available packages and descriptions of those packages for
>> Red Hat 5.2.  I've been able to find a list of all the ::changed:: packages
>> but that only minimally helps me.  Anybody have a direction they can point
>> me in?
>>

> Can't help with the package lists. Perhaps when I'm at work.
>
> Be advised that there is a major bug in openldap on the 5.2 release. I
> don't know when they intend to fix it. We are eaither remaining at 5.1
> or excluding the nss_ldap package from upgrades. openldap will fail to
> authenticate users if you have the 5.2 release version.

My mileage varied. There's a recent openldap security update which I've
applied to one of our ldap slaves (which was installed as 5.1 and has
had security patches applied) and I am still using it to authenticate my
workstation each day.  My workstation is a recently loaded 5.2 machine.

I have seen the traffic on the rhel5 list complaining about various
nss_ldap problems.  However, I did find that starting nscd seemed to fix
the issue for us.  I also had to update /etc/ldap.conf to include dbus
on the list of  nss_initgroups_ignoreusers.  Otherwise, it's been
working okay for us.

We also have an hourly cron script that checks to see if nscd has died
and restarts it if it has (it happens less often than it died in RH4
days, but it still happens).

Do you have more specifics on this bug?

Hugh