[lug] BLUG Poll

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Fri Jul 18 12:39:03 MDT 2008

I'd second info related to MySQL esp. regarding the following:

1) What benefits (performance, extra programming capability, scalability,
functionality, etc) if any do I get moving from MySQL to Postgres and
possibly vice versa if any exist?

2) If you're familiar enough with MySQL, a quick upgrade / porting
checklist for those of us that decide we want to make the switch from
MySQL to Postgres.   Any gotchas (what is definitely different that we
need to be aware of and otherwise might not think of prior to making the
switch).  As well as a quick mention on what parts of the languages are
very similar if not the same and thus can be navigated quickly.

3)Quick overview on the Postgres CLI, other useful admin cmds and any
power tips using these to work faster.  A simple session showing how one
accesses the CLI to do a common task like create db, create db user, set
password, create table, etc would suffice.

4) Any good gui db admin tools?

5) Since there seems to be general interest in the MySQL comparison and
presentations are finding a way on the lug site after the fact, if you
have the time to put any of this down in writing for future reference it
probably would be helpful.

thanks
sounds like a good presentation