[lug] cell phones with linux

Ben Burdette bburdette at comcast.net
Fri Jul 18 16:15:37 MDT 2008

For a typical closed phone based on linux, it doesn't do you, the user,
much good at all.  Its cheaper for the manufacturer than licensing some
embedded OS.  They don't put linux on there for its openness, and make
no provision for the end user to do much of any customizing/hacking with
it.  Phones like the Ming are like this.

That's what's different about the openmoko phone - they are making it as
open and transparent as possible, providing source for virtually every
component of the OS and gui.  You can make your own apps (using GTK, or
other gui tech), and there is  a terminal.  As far as I know the
openmoko phone is the only one around where this open approach is being
taken.