[lug] upgrading to f9: gdmsetup gone?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Jul 22 11:28:27 MDT 2008

In older versions of Fedora you had to tell GDM to allows remote TCP
connections.  Pre-F5 you edited gdm.conf.  In F5 and F7 you used
gdmsetup and disabled the line that says "Deny TCP Connections to the X
Server".  F9 has now changed things yet again.  But I can't find where
it's been moved to or what the new procedure is.  I can use "ssh -X" to
launch an xterm but doing ssh into a local user seems superfluous (thank
you, Sean, for that word) when su would work just as well.

Googling shows that you edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf.  But I can find no
documentation on what is supposed to go in this file.  Open source
developers need to take classes on how to write *DOCUMENTATION!*  No man
page for either gdm or gdm.conf (or custom.conf, though a man page on
that would be silly since the file name is too generic).

Remember when it was just "xhost +<hostname>"?  Wasn't the desktop
supposed to make users life easier?

Does anyone know how to allow a "remote" user (re: not the one using the
desktop at the moment) to connect to the desktop?

Sidenote:  I also love how they're replacing inittab with endless shell
scripts.  I get the feeling distro packaging is being run by Microsoft
these days:  "Change it - they'll have to call someone for support!".
Change is good, but only when necessary.  If it aint broke, don't fix
it.  *sigh*  What the hell was wrong with inittab?

Note: before sending this I finally found a page on FedoraForum
(http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=448977&postcount=1) that
says to try this:

> [xdmcp]
> Enable=true
> [security]
> DisallowTCP=false
> [daemon]
> RemoteGreeter=/usr/libexec/gdmgreeter
>
> Then run gdm-restart

as part of getting a VNC running though other googled pages says the
[security] entry alone doesn't do anything.  I haven't tried this yet
for ordinary remote user display on the local server since the upgraded
machines are at home (work machines are not upgraded yet).  I also
finally found some GDM configuration documentation, but it's somewhat
sparse and doesn't descript the Security section at all (though it does
list it - without explanation - in the link to the file schema):
http://live.gnome.org/GDM/2.22/Configuration

I think I'm getting sick of GNOME.  And I don't want KDE either.  I may
switch my desktops to XFce, or maybe to something like lxde
(http://lxde.org/) that lets me stay in charge instead of letting
desktop developers decide what kind of user I am.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org