[lug] request for data: cpuinfo on non-x86 cpus

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Jul 23 16:19:41 MDT 2008

Michael J. Hammel wrote:
[cut]
> What's worse, I need to figure that out for non-Linux systems eventually
> (though I'm in no hurry to open that can of worms).  So whatever tools I
> use I have to identify both the hardware and the supporting kernel.
>
> Hmmm.  Generalized remote system identification for a grid is going to
> be a royal pain the buttocks.  I see that now....

Graphics and crypto libraries often use CPUID and its equivalents (every
CPU I am aware of has instructions to identify its type and abilities)
in order to determine if it should use MMX/3dnow/SSE/SSE2/SSE3/SSE4,
cmpxchng, prefetch and other cache control, profile registers, etc.

None of them check /proc/cpuinfo.