[lug] my latest guilty pleasure -- Linuxhaters Blog

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Jul 27 10:53:36 MDT 2008

Nate Duehr wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2008, at 9:18 PM, David L. Anselmi wrote:
>
>> What do you use Excel for that you can't use OO Calc for?  I know a
>> guy who's a wiz at Excel (and Access), maybe I should have him show me
>> what real work in a spreadsheet looks like.  (Pity that he doesn't
>> have an easy way to version control his macros.)
>
> Heh... you'd be flamed by Linuxhater... "Yeah, because making sure my
> macros from Excel work in a replacement for Excel is less important than
> version controlling my new broken macros."

I don't know if you can version control Calc macros any better than
Excel.  That was a tangential thought about how much of a business's
rules may be buried in Excel where no one can see them or keep track of
who changed what when.  Business gets by that way but software
developers learned a long time ago that it doesn't work for them.  It
would be interesting cross-pollination to use svn for business data (in
a case where it made sense, of course).

Dave