[lug] FSF plans Apple Genuis Bar "denial of service"

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Jul 28 02:05:30 MDT 2008

On Jul 27, 2008, at 10:38 PM, David L. Anselmi wrote:

> Nate Duehr wrote:
>> From Slashdot today...
>> <http://mobile.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/07/26/1827208>
>> This is sick and wrong.
>
> You're welcome to think what you like but it isn't intended as a
> denial of service.  Except for the recommendation to introduce
> yourself as a representative of defectivebydesign.org I'd say it's
> using an Apple service to ask legitimate questions about their
> products.

If all the members of defectivebydesign.org were willing to go buy an
Apple first, then I'd say they could feel free to tie up the support
staff.

You don't need to tie up the SERVICE people at the Genius Bar to ask
those questions.  Sashay up to a salesperson and take up their time --
until they see a better prospect in a customer ready to PAY for
something... but no Genius Bar unless you're a customer.

It's just childish behavior.  It's also singling out Apple -- are they
planning similar events at Best Buy?  Are they going to overload the
phone lines to Dell's 800 number?  Come on.

Hell, just start a letter-writing campaign.  Ask as many questions as
you want.  Apple will still respond.  And guess what they'll say, "Our
customers want what we're selling.  Sorry.  Have a nice day."

If that bugs the FSF, they better go looking for the people providing
the CONTENT and talk to them.

So back to the point -- the reality is, they ARE trying to create a
denial-of-service at the Genius Bar.  And then they'll act like Apple
employees are bad people for turning them away and helping REAL
customers.

It's retarded, and makes them and the FSF look like complete jerks.  I
think this qualifies as the proper place to use that guy's phrase from
the "hater's" blog.  Freetards.

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com