[lug] FSF plans Apple Genuis Bar "denial of service"

Sam Noble s at mnoble.net
Mon Jul 28 15:40:07 MDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 02:05 -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> Hell, just start a letter-writing campaign.  Ask as many questions as
> you want.  Apple will still respond.  And guess what they'll say, "Our
> customers want what we're selling.  Sorry.  Have a nice day."
>
> If that bugs the FSF, they better go looking for the people providing
> the CONTENT and talk to them.

I have a more important point below, but I do want to point out that at
least one reason why DBD's campaign is directed at Apple is because of
their affiliation with Steve Jobs, being the single largest individual
share-holder of Disney, obviously a huge content provider.

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 11:46 -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> I'm purposely sounding loony in reply to crazed loons who think DRM is
> about real human freedom.  Does any human need to watch a damn movie?
>
> Even have a computer?
>
> Want to "free" the world, move to Cambodia and save child sex slaves
> from their oppressors.
>
> Go to Africa and help hungry people get food so they can fight warlords.
>
> Perhaps even just take a homeless person right here in Denver into your
> home with your family.
>
> But please... get a clue about what the important fights are.  We only
> have so much time in a lifetime, and DRM is not exactly a battle worth
> fighting.
>
> Come on.  You gotta be kidding me right?

This would be a really valuable point if it was true. That is to say, if
one truly has the option to leave the system, then sure the rules of the
system are of limited importance.

Personally I have always been inclined to agree that "real" freedom is
more important than software freedom.

But, for bettor or worse, anyone reading these messages has chosen to
have technologies like email, the internet and a computer in their life.
And it will be the rare duck indeed who has gone that far and yet
managed to mitigate all other impacts of software on their life.

We no longer have to look to sci-fi to see that these technologies and
the software that enables them will become more and more tightly
integrated with our everyday lives. Yes, today you can still put in
extra effort to avoid the especially ugly intrusions, get your
television by antennae, operate your finances by cash and depending on
your location maybe even demand a paper ballot at the voting booth. But
even if you're operating out of a shack in the woods, it's very likely
that you're eventually going to be forced (or you'll accede to perceived
necessity) to interaction with software in a way that is inseparable
from "real life."

Hence all the talk about freedom. Software freedom is and is becoming
ever more so "real human freedom."