[lug] Monitoring file descriptors

Ben Whaley bwhaley at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 21:19:59 MDT 2008

The intention of this is not to tell me which process has thousands of file
descriptors, but instead to tell me when I'm LOW on file descriptor so I can
log in and check. Once logged in, I would do something like:

for x in `ps -ef| awk '{ print $2 }'`; do echo "$x: ";  sudo ls /proc/$x/fd;
done

to find which process was hogging the file descriptors.