[lug] Re: NOT talking about DRM

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Mon Jul 28 21:27:46 MDT 2008

> It's an antagonist to FREEDOM.  There are (at least two) big problems
> that TPTB can use DRM to squelch:
>
> 1) independent content providers.  You might be an eloquent speaker, but
> if you can't get out because you don't have the necessary DRM
> fingerprints (and are thus presumed to be illegal copies, no appeals
> permitted) then you're back on the street corner soapbox.  Only this
> time there's no sidewalk since everyone drives, and the Towne Square
> Centre is a corporation that can and will kick you out.

Good point!

Goes back to my apple analogy.  Control the chip, control the content ==
control the message.

> 2) independent witnesses.  We're already starting to see this -- cops

Good point as well though harder to stop with just DRM.  For instance,
you'd probably be able to get the tape viewed in a courtroom where it
could be deliberated on.  But it's possible the tape would never be viewed
on the air for mass consumption.  Which means less scrutiny.  Less public
outrage.