[lug] my latest guilty pleasure -- Linuxhaters Blog

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Jul 29 18:02:50 MDT 2008

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> It's even better than that.  Back in January I hired us an administrative
> assistant.  She had only used Windows before.  I set her up with a Linux
> system and walked her through what she needs to do (e-mail, openoffice, SVN
> for our documentation repository even, web browsing).  She had absolutely
> no problems, saying something like "This all seems like what I'm used to".

Which distro, desktop, and e-mail client?  Just out of curiosity...

> She's had no problems with it.  Except that "it doesn't crash all the time
> like my Windows system did at my last job".

That part we all know is kinda a straw-man... Windows will run a long
time without crashing nowadays with a professional admin/support staff
doing the right things.  Sounds like they didn't have one at her last job.

A mac can also fill that last "requirement" too...

But I'm glad to hear she feels "comfortable" with the apps you chose for
her.

Curious what you chose.

Also curious:  Could she have loaded that machine herself with the
distro you're using and ended up with the same desktop you set her up
with... with a single "go do it" mouse click?

That's the goal... if we want people to use Linux.

Nate