[lug] Huh, that was easy.

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Jul 30 00:13:51 MDT 2008

On Jul 29, 2008, at 10:22 PM, David L. Anselmi wrote:

> I noticed that my kpowersave thingy has a new look since this week's
> upgrade.  But some of the stuff (suspend, cpu frequency) didn't
> work. No surprise, I never installed any suspend stuff and I haven't
> bothered to learn how suspend works to know what I want.  (I only
> install stuff when I know enough about it to know that it's what I
> want.)
>
> So I asked google why suspend doesn't work and there was mention of
> powersaved.  So I installed it and rebooted.  Then I pushed the
> suspend to ram button and the little crescent moon went on for the
> first time since I've owned this box.
>
> Of course you know that resuming is the hard part, but that worked
> too.  There was a slight delay for the wireless to re-associate and
> get an IP but it happened.
>
> So now I'm going to see if suspend to disk works and when I get up
> in the morning maybe I won't have to type my password for email.
> It'll be just like Christmas.
>
> Seasons greetings!
> Dave

I'm so conflicted reading this!

On the one hand, Dr. Jeckyll says -- I think back to when I fought and
fought and fought to get suspend-to-disk working on both a Debian
machine and a Gentoo machine a couple of years ago and I'm ultra-happy
for you that just installing a package made it work, no muss no fuss.
STUFF THAT WORKS!  Whoo hoo!

On the other hand, Mr Hyde says -- About time!  Every Mac in this
house since OS9 days has done power management with aplomb... push a
button, it goes to sleep, close the lid it goes to sleep and if the
battery gets too low, it suspends to disk.  (I do hate that it's not
"easy" to force a suspend-to-disk on a Mac though... sometimes I know
the machine will be off for a day or so, but I want it to come up
where it left off, and ... the battery might be dead first.  Maybe
more than two days, I dunno...)  The Windows XP desktop machines have
never had any trouble with this either, and the major brand name
laptops have always seemed to work too.

All this over-thinking about Linux and computing lately... I'm going
to have to put some other priorities ahead of entertaining my brain
and catch up on some of those boring "normal life" things here soon.
But it's really messing with me, trying to decide if I think it's good
that your suspend works or if it's a yawner... I think oddly, it's both!

YAY Dave.  Seriously.  Good stuff!

I'm trying to remember, maybe someone can help me out here... wasn't
one of the earliest home computers set up to come back up where it
left off?  I know it wasn't the Tandys, the Apples, the PCs, the TI
99/4A, the Commodores, or the Timex/Sinclair... can anyone remember
the first personal computer they can remember that was engineered not
to lose everything and start over when the power was removed and then
turned back on?  Interesting history question I guess... did it start
with Windows?  I doubt that, because I've never seen Microsoft come up
with new ideas like that... hahaha... hmm.  When was it?

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com