[lug] my latest guilty pleasure -- Linuxhaters Blog

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Jul 30 10:39:05 MDT 2008

Nate Duehr wrote:
> Civil Engineers built to real standards, or people die.  Electronics
> or RF engineers build to standards that WORK, or they can't sell their
> products.  Both also have to consider the human interface aspects of
> their work.
A core difference is that 1) the desired outcome is precisely defined
and 2) not casually changed.  Where you have that, e.g., server side,
the quality can be quite good.  Where you don't get it, e.g.,
market-driven software, you don't.   But that's true everywhere -- the
engineers just have the ability to say that the latter isn't 'engineering'.