[lug] Personal 'layer'

Jeffrey Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 21:35:39 MDT 2008

Okay, since we're talking about tracking environments, I seldom keep track
of what packages I install on my desktop boxes, because what I want keeps
changing, and installing packages has become so fast and easy.  (This isn't
true for servers, for which I plan to steal the suggestions folks are
making.  Thanks!)

In contrast, my personal environment -- like my .bashrc or my .inputrc --
are things I want to track.  These are mostly in my home directory. I've
been keeping my home directory under SVN and archiving the repository,
daily, to a thumb drive.  (I'm switching to git, but it's the same idea.)

The biggest, and completely unanticipated, advantage of this is that, every
morning, svn tells me what I've forgotten to check in.   Usually, it's
trash: files that I meant to delete yesterday but, you know, didn't get
around to ...

So, every morning, before I go on, I either delete them or add them to what
I'm tracking.  My home directory and Desktop stay, for the first time in
thirty or forty years, tidy.

If I could only put my garage under SVN.

--
Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell]