[lug] Personal 'layer'

durist at frii.com durist at frii.com
Mon Aug 4 10:07:09 MDT 2008

A while back I was contemplating trying to use the package manager to create
packages containing my personal files, plus a sort of overlay package
containing any customizations to the system (i.e. config files in /etc). My
thought was I could then just automate the package creation process and back
up those packages every night, and it would make system upgrades very easy.

I know this is probably an abuse of what the package manager is meant to do,
but it just seems like such a neat solution.

Has anybody tried this?
--
Dan Urist
durist at frii.com