[lug] Setting time zone

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 5 09:48:29 MDT 2008

On an Ubuntu system I'd like to set the time zone on a computer to CST.
  When I run "sudo tzselect" and go through the steps I get:

------------------------
Please identify a location so that time zone rules can be set correctly.
Please select a continent or ocean.
  1) Africa
  2) Americas
  3) Antarctica
  4) Arctic Ocean
  5) Asia
  6) Atlantic Ocean
  7) Australia
  8) Europe
  9) Indian Ocean
10) Pacific Ocean
11) none - I want to specify the time zone using the Posix TZ format.
#? 11
Please enter the desired value of the TZ environment variable.
For example, GST-10 is a zone named GST that is 10 hours ahead (east) of
UTC.
CST+6

The following information has been given:

         TZ='CST+6'

Therefore TZ='CST+6' will be used.
Local time is now:      Tue Aug  5 09:42:30 CST 2008.
Universal Time is now:  Tue Aug  5 15:42:30 UTC 2008.
Is the above information OK?
1) Yes
2) No
#? 1

You can make this change permanent for yourself by appending the line
         TZ='CST+6'; export TZ
to the file '.profile' in your home directory; then log out and log in
again.

Here is that TZ value again, this time on standard output so that you
can use the /usr/bin/tzselect command in shell scripts:
CST+6