[lug] Metacity lockups (and moving to XFce)

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Aug 5 22:12:07 MDT 2008

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 21:23:55 -0600
nate at natetech.com (Nate Duehr) wrote:

> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
> > see 'man yum' for more info. ;)
>
> Just did.  Nothing there.
>
> Searched on "grouplist" inside the manpage and got the syntax, and
> nothing else about it.
>
> No "info" doc on yum either.
>
> Nothing in the /usr/share/yum-3.2.8 directory talks about it.
>
> (This is all on CentOS 5.2)

Sadly, CentOS/RHEL have a much older version of yum, and it appears
back before they did some work on updating the man page.

> My next question was:  Hmm, that's useful... how do I see what's
> inside the groups?
>
> I had to guess that groupinfo was the right thing to do that.  No
> docs on that either.
>
> Sure you didn't learn about it from a webpage?  The official docs
> suck about that feature of yum.

From the Fedora 9 yum man page:

       groupinstall
              Is  used  to  install all of the individual packages in a
group, of the specified types (this works as if you’d  taken  each  of
those package  names and put them on the command line for a "yum
install" command).
               The group_package_types configuration option specifies
which types will be installed.

       groupupdate
              Is  just  an  alias for groupinstall, which will do the
right thing because "yum install X" and "yum update X" do the same
thing,  when X is already installed.

       grouplist
              Is used to list the available groups from all yum repos.
Groups are marked as "installed" if all mandatory packages are
installed,  or if a group doesn’t have any mandatory packages then it
is installed if any of the optional  or  default  package  are
installed.   The optional  "hidden"  argument  will  also  list groups
marked as not being "user visible".

       groupremove
              Is used to remove all of the pacakges in a group, unlike
"groupin- stall"  this  will  remove  everything  regardless  of
group_pack- age_types. It is worth pointing out that packages can  be
in  more than  one  group, so "groupinstall X Y" followed by
"groupremove Y" does not do give you the same result as "groupinstall
X".

       groupinfo
              Is used to give the description and package list of  a
group  (and which type those packages are marked as). Note that you can
use the yum-filter-data and yum-list-data plugins to get/use the  data
the other way around (Ie. what groups own packages need updating).

Hope that helps.

kevin