[lug] How to change rpm package names

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 08:47:53 MDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 7:43 AM, Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat.com> wrote:

> Michael> I thought I'd done this before, but I've lost the trick.  I thought I
> Michael> recalled an "obsolete" declaration in the spec file, but I can't find
> Michael> anything about that anymore.
>
> Yeah, you can write "Obsoletes: package"

Thanks Tom.  I tried that.  RPM built and knows that it obsoletes the
package, but "yum update" (on CentOS 5) just complains of conflicts.
Somehow I need to figure out how to tell yum to remove the obsolete
package.

This is for an automated update system for some appliances.  I know I
can just log in and get things working by hand, but that solution
doesn't scale.

Thanks,

Michael