[lug] vi question

Jeffrey Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 13:02:06 MDT 2008

Sometimes, it's a mis-set TERM variable.  See if this'll fix it:

export TERM=xterm

If that doesn't work, try a different version of vi -- vim if that's not
what he's already using, or vice-versa.
(If these fix the problem, I'd suspect a funny setting in either exrc or
vimrc).

If neither of these is an Instant Winner, please play again.  No purchase
necessary. :-)

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Gary Hodges <Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov> wrote:

> We've just made some computing changes here and a colleague is reporting
> that vi is no longer working as expected.  I know little about vi, so I come
> here seeking answers.
>
> Previously my colleague could enter into the replace mode (Shift-R) and
> then use the arrow keys to move around and replace text.  Now the arrow keys
> produce a letter (A,B,C or D) depending on the key, each on a new line.
>
> Gary

Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell]
http://goyishekop.blogspot.com