[lug] vi question

Aaron Nichols anichols at trumped.org
Fri Aug 15 12:40:43 MDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Gary Hodges <Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov> wrote:

> We've just made some computing changes here and a colleague is reporting
> that vi is no longer working as expected.  I know little about vi, so I come
> here seeking answers.
>
> Previously my colleague could enter into the replace mode (Shift-R) and
> then use the arrow keys to move around and replace text.  Now the arrow keys
> produce a letter (A,B,C or D) depending on the key, each on a new line.

This is likely a change in the terminal configuration. Assuming you are
using a reasonably modern version of vim (aka vi) you may want to experiment
with other terminal types. If you aren't running a recent version of vim (or
aren't running vim at all) compare what you are running now with what you
had before if possible. Without knowing the environment it's hard to get
much more specific than that.

Hope that helps.
Aaron