[lug] vi question

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 21:38:11 MDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Gary Hodges <Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Sean Reifschneider wrote:

>> Gary Hodges wrote:
>>>
>>> Previously my colleague could enter into the replace mode (Shift-R) and
>>> then use the arrow keys to move around and replace text.  Now the arrow
>>> keys produce a letter (A,B,C or D) depending on the key, each on a new
>>
>> Make sure you have the enhanced vim packages installed, and that you have
>> vim rather than another vi editor like nvi installed.  Under
>> CentOS/RHEL/Fedora I believe you may need "vim-enhanced", under
>> Debian/Ubuntu maybe "vim-full"?  If those packages are installed, try
>> running "vim" instead of "vi" and see if that makes it do as he likes.
>>
>> Those are a few things to try.
>
> While looking for the vim-full package I noticed that vim wasn't installed.
>  With vim installed the desired behavior returned.  I went ahead and
> installed vim-full as well.  Thanks for the suggestions!

If you are running ubuntu or a recent Debian distro, the brilliant
doughnut heads decided to make something called vim-minimal (guess at
the package name) instead of vim the default vi-editor. That package
gives you all the wonderful functionality that standard vi had in the
unices of yore.

I've bitched about that frequently, but the doughnut heads seldom listen.

--
Collins Richey