[lug] vi question

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Aug 16 12:04:23 MDT 2008

Collins Richey wrote:
>> Perhaps you just happen to be running in compatibility mode?  When I run
>> vim-tiny it doesn't do syntax highlighting but it does have multi-level
>> undo, command and search history, and formatting (gq).  I don't think vi has
>> any of those.
>
> The principle ugly vi-type behavior of vim-tiny s that insert mode
> only covers the current line. If you try to arrow key out of the
> current line, garbage characters are inserted as empty lines. Yes I
> know that old unix types are familiar (love? cherish?) this behavior,
> but I find it to be unacceptable in the 21st century.

Yeah, that's just compatibility mode.  Try vim -N vs. vim -C (it applies
to vim as well as vim-tiny).  (Interesting, vim does syntax highlighting
even with -C.)

I never use arrow keys (or anything in insert mode) to move the cursor
so that particular problem doesn't bother me.  But there are other
vim-isms I'm used to.

Dave