[lug] Linux for Dad

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Aug 17 11:46:25 MDT 2008

John Dollison wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foresight_Linux

"All packages are updated in a rolling release style, i.e. as updates
are released upstream, or packagers get to them. Packages move between
three branches of the foresight repositories, originating usually at the
development branch or in the personal repositories of packagers, after
which they are promoted to the qa (Quality Assurance) branch, and
finally to the stable branch, intended for users. Snapshots are taken
every few months, and new ISO images are produced."

This is what I do with Debian.  I think it's superior to the traditional
way commercial OSs do upgrades.  But I guess we have to wait for the
current generation of sysadmins to die off before companies figure out
how to take advantage of it.

Dave