[lug] Linux for Dad

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Aug 18 21:35:05 MDT 2008

John Dollison wrote:
> Oh, another reason I think that Foresight Linux might be a good choice for dial-up users is the way it handles updates:
>
> "Foresight uses the Conary
> package management system. This system only updates those specific
> files in packages which need to be updated, in contrast to other
> formats, such as the RPM and DEB formats, which download whole packages.

That might be an interesting tool.  But I think package management is a
fairly important part of a distro so you'd want to make sure it works as
well as aptitude.  You might also want to see what the actual benefit
is.  Some packages may well change over 90% of their files when updated.
  Add the on-line overhead of checking what needs to be updated and it
might not be that much of a saving.  And "rolling updates" mean new
packages as fast as the authors put them out.

There are other distros that try to be out of the box solutions.  Linux
mint, maybe?

Since you're tech support I'd say you should try out whatever you pick
and see how you like it.  And run it yourself too.

Dave