[lug] Linux for Dad

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Aug 19 16:08:45 MDT 2008

George Sexton wrote:

>> Buy dad a Mac?  :-)
>>
>> Nate
>
> You're so brave. That was going to be my suggestion but I was too
> cowardly...

LOL... just mark me "-1 Troll" I guess... that's what all the other sane
comments on Slashdot get.

Say ANYTHING bad about open-source projects/code you'll get blasted
there.  Same with Digg.

(Try making a positive comment about McCain on Digg too... whew...
flame-retardant undies required.  The "loony left" -- as opposed to
normal left-leaning people -- has invaded Digg big-time.)

We "Linux folk" who will put up with patches, upgrades, messing around
getting modern video cards working, yadda yadda... we have options.  But
the general public, the folks often asking us for help, deserve to have
solutions that don't require 10 years of computing background to get
e-mail and a decent web browser.  (No jokes about Safari not being a
decent web-browser, please... you can tell 'em to load Firefox "just in
case" on Macs, after all.)

I think if we're genuinely concerned about their user experience, we
Linux folks have to watch out for our "cultural bias" to to not look for
the BEST solution for them, but to look ONLY for the solution that uses
open code.  We do ourselves a disservice as "computer experts" and them
a disservice forcing them to deal with the Linux desktop when we
recommend it to the common person who has little or no interest in how
their computer works.

I'd love to point "dad" toward something open, but the quality of the UI
just isn't there.  I pointed multiple family members at Macs, and they
never call anymore... but seem to get done what they want to get done.

The only confusion from them has been about iTunes and DRM'ed music...
they get a little miffed when they can't "just send a copy" to someone.
   But only a little.  They'd obviously rather have *everything* be
DRM-Free, but they "get it" when it's not.

I've explained how they can avoid it, and out of the 3 family members
I've explained DRM to, they decide it's not worth messing with trying to
live a "DRM-Free lifestyle", so to speak.

Nate