[lug] strace [was Help with window manager "lockups"]

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Aug 19 18:35:33 MDT 2008

Nate Duehr wrote:
> strace is so cool -- I never even thought of doing that, though... why
> does my brain not "see" the obvious?  Bothers me sometimes...

There was a question at work about why rpm hangs when an NFS mount isn't
responding.  strace made it easy to see that rpm opens /etc/mtab and
stats everything there.  If anyone cared beyond that I'd get the source
and see if it explained why rpm cared (none of the files in the rpm are
going on random NFS mounts).

Dave