[lug] Linux for Dad

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Tue Aug 19 19:04:18 MDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Nate Duehr
<nate at natetech.com> wrote:
> George Sexton wrote:
>
>>> Buy dad a Mac?  :-)
>>>
>>> Nate
>>
>> You're so brave. That was going to be my suggestion but I
>> was too
>> cowardly...
>
> LOL... just mark me "-1 Troll" I guess... that's what all
> the other sane
> comments on Slashdot get.
>
> Say ANYTHING bad about open-source projects/code you'll
> get blasted there.
>  Same with Digg.

(nod) I can sympathize.  I stopped posting on slashdot a
*long* time ago because I posted common sense...which
doesn't always equate to open source.

At the risk of joining you in troll-hood, I'll join in with
my support of using a Mac:

I think MacOSX is a *brilliant* operating system for the
average user. It has most of the benefits of both M$ Windows
and Linux, and very few of the drawbacks of either.  For
those who turn it down because they "don't like Macs!", I
just point out that as of MacOSX, it based on a UNIX core
(BSD), except unlike Linux it has a very well designed user
interface.

Which isn't to say I don't like the Linux window
managers....there are many good ones out there, and even the
KDE/Gnome are decent in comparison to Windows (though I
consider them just about the worst option available, for
me).  However, none are even remotely close to as polished
and easy to use as MacOSX for the average *computer
illiterate* user who wants only basic
web/email/document/music/etc. functionality which "just
works".

--David