[lug] RedHat Ent5 Terminal window issue

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Aug 20 18:12:36 MDT 2008

Steve A Hart wrote:
> I'm just wondering if anyone has come across anything like this before.
>  I've got a RHEL 5 client system that at random times (at least it
> appears random) all open terminal windows disappear.  Firefox,
> Thunderbird, and Gnome all stay open and work fine but all open terminal
> windows disappear.

Got any malicious friends playing a practical joke on you?

This is a favorite of one of my friends -- if you leave him a way to log
into your box.

A quick shell script to loop and find all your xterms and kill them,
sleep a bit, and do it all again -- then pop it into the background with
a nohup and log out...

And you wonder why your terminal windows keep disappearing right after
you launch them.  :-)

Nate