[lug] Every day, really.

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Aug 29 13:08:54 MDT 2008

On Aug 29, 2008, at 8:32 AM, Jeffrey Haemer wrote:

> http://blip.tv/file/1061088

Interesting commentary on how badly businesses and their leadership
don't know how to manage -- gosh, their businesses, I guess.  Since
technology and software are supposed to have a net INCREASE in
performance, either saving the company money or creating it.

If they can't measure that, they're hosed... "requirements changing"
is often a sign of this.  "What do we want it to do?" -- Should be an
easy question... next is "Okay, how much will that cost?"  If it costs
more than it's worth, don't do it.  Anyone with a household budget can
figure this out, it doesn't take an MBA from Harvard.

Seems like "hug a developer" should be, "help a developer escape from
poorly run businesses".

Not sure how you accomplish that one, though.  Other than perhaps
hoping that the bad software businesses finally just die off.  That
may not be much of a "help" to the developers employed there in the
short-term, however.

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com