[lug] Cloning

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Tue Sep 2 12:53:58 MDT 2008

Ghost and the like take care of zeroing out the Windows Unique ID for
the machine (SIDs).

It seems like there was an OEM tool to reset an installation so that it
would re-ask for the license key, re-generate SIDs, etc.

If you could find that tool, you could probably use the dd method of
cloning and then reset the IDs and SIDs.

gordon.golding at colorado.edu wrote:
>   I have 10 PCs (evil windows) each going to 3 different remote sites.
>
> Rather than trying to get there and set up all by hand, I thought about
> cloning.
>
> I've seen Ghost and there are blogs that say they have a way to clone
> for free.
>
> It occured to me -
>
> How about set up one here...  Then boot machine to linux rescue and do
> dd sda1 to sda2 - and do a round robin of tearing out drives and dd'ing.
>
> Any thoughts on what's easiest?
>
> Gordon Golding

> Get the MapQuest Toolbar
> <http://mapquest.com/toolbar?ncid=mpqmap00050000000010>. Directions,