[lug] Videocard / Xorg question

John Dollison johndollison at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 3 21:38:45 MDT 2008

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04, and want to set up my Dell Dimension 4700 (with integrated Intel video chip) to use a higher resolution with my Acer AL2223W widescreen monitor.  (It's currently at 1024x768, so the desktop is really stretched and odd-looking on a widescreen monitor.)

Apparently the xorg.conf file in 8.04 is handled differently from previous Ubuntu releases.  I was reading the "Xorg in Ubuntu 8.04" documentation page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/XORGHardy) when I saw this entry:
"Driver: This line is the key. This line tells Xorg what driver module to load and use for your card. By default this line is blank in your 8.04 Hardy /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, as xorg will try to select the best driver for you. You can manually override this by forcing the Xorg to use the driver you want it to."

If the line is blank, how do I find out what driver Xorg is automatically selecting now?  It doesn't make sense to force Xorg to select a driver if I don't even know what driver I'm using now.--John DollisonWestminster, CO     .