[lug] Videocard / Xorg question

John Dollison johndollison at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 4 00:44:29 MDT 2008

So, it turns out the line in my xorg.conf wasn't blank at all, despite what the wiki article said.  It showed I was using the i810 driver and the EV730 monitor (my old CRT, before I replaced it with the Acer LCD), as shown below:

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family Graphics Controller"
    Driver        "i810"
    BusID        "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "EV730"
    Option        "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Device        "Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family Graphics Controller"
    Monitor        "EV730"
    DefaultDepth    24

I also took Zan's advice and checked out the Xorg.0.log file, where I found the following entry:

(II) LoadModule: "i810"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//i810_drv.so
(II) Module i810: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    Module class: X.Org Video Driver

And it also happens that the little "Updates Available" icon was blinking on my Gnome Panel, and when I opened the Update Manager it said that the "xserver-xorg-video-intel" package was available for download (talk about providence... I must be living right!).  So I downloaded the update, rebooted as instructed, and then ran "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" followed by a CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to restart the X server.  And guess what?  It just worked!  Going to System --> Preferences --> Screen Resolution now shows my monitor as "Acer 22" and my default resolution is set to 1680 x 1050.

For curiosity's sake, I took a look at my updated xorg.conf file, which now looks completely different:

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
    Option        "UseFBDev"        "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    Device        "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

I also checked out the new Xorg.0.log file, where I found the following entry:

(II) LoadModule: "intel"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//intel_drv.so
(II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    compiled for 1.4.0.90, module version = 2.2.1
    Module class: X.Org Video Driver

So I don't know if the problem was fixed by updating from the "i810" to the "Intel" driver, or by forcing X to redetect my hardware and select the correct monitor, but either way, it's working now.  Woo hoo!
--

John Dollison

Westminster, CO 80021