[lug] How to save $ for off site backup services?

siegfried siegfried at heintze.com
Sat Sep 6 13:47:09 MDT 2008

Can anyone recommend an offsite backup service?

Is there any difference between selecting an offsite backup service for
windows v. linux aside from the software they install? I would like to
backup both my linux and windows partitions!

I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the prices for VaultNow.com.
$1000/mo for 1GB!

http://Foreverstor.com <http://foreverstor.com/>  is a Longmont company that
is cheaper. I'm not sure if they do linux. 25$/mo for one GB still seems a
bit expensive (especially since outpost.com is selling 1TB SATA drives for
$180). It is going to take me many hours to prune my old email down so there
is room in 1GB to backup my personal source code files and my email.

I'm presently paying a internet service provider $35/mo and Qwest another
$35/mo for a total $70/mo for 5 fixed IP addresses at a remote site (a
residence). At this site I have a $100 linksys router/nat box running linux
and OpenVPN that is connected to a $100 linksys slug (NAS controller)
running linux. To the slug I have $120 300GB USB drive. I perform automated
backup every night and there is plenty of room left over on that one 300GB
drive!

But $70/mo is a lot more than $25/mo and I often have to call up my friends
and ask them to reboot (about a couple times a month). I think the culprit
is the DSL modem but since they are 1500 miles a way, I won't be finding out
soon. And someday something is going to fail and I'll have to hire someone
to come in and fix it for - who knows -- $100 labor to install a new NAS
controller or router/NAT box? I'll have to buy a new router or NAS
controller and configure it with linux and OpenVPN and then USMail it and
hire someone to install it. I hope it does not break soon!

So can anyone recommend something cheaper and more reliable than $70/mo for
300GB of off site backup? I'm hoping for $25/mo for maybe 10GB?

Really! 10GB is not much! And I cannot type that much in one day so after
the initial deposit we are only talking one or two Kbytes a night in
changes.

Thanks

Siegfried