[lug] Re: BLUG Meeting Announcement 2008-09-11

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 09:41:06 MDT 2008

Hi there,
I just would like to say that I was lurking in the mailing list since
June, and I was hoping to show up during one of your weekly meetings
at Cafe Sole, but I didn't have time (my wife and I moved twice this
year, and then our baby was born... this is a busy and sleepless
time).
Well, perhaps we will meet next Thursday, possibly at Panera bread
before the real meeting. Should I send any RSVP to someone?
Thanks,
;Davide
PS: I apologize for not introducing myself: I am a physicist with
strong computer science interests, my wife and I moved to Boulder
almost 2  years ago. I am a member of the FSF. More info:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/delvento (please do not send invitations
before we meet in person).

    http://lug.boulder.co.us/calendar.html

The September Boulder Linux User Group meeting is coming up.

   Talk : Open Source Software Economics, Standards, and IP in One Lesson

Speaker : Stephen Walli

   When : 7 p.m. on Thu, Sep 11, 2008

  Where : Aztek Networks, 2477 55th St, Suite 202, Boulder, CO.

          Aztek Networks is on 55th between Arapahoe and Pearl, just
          north of the Humane Society.  There's plenty of parking, and
          the 206 and 208 busses stop across the street.

    Map : http://lug.boulder.co.us/meetings.html

Summary of 'Open Source Software Economics, Standards, and IP in One Lesson'

The talk looks at the economic relationships between free and open source
software, standards and intellectual property, and how they relate to
businesses using open source software. Based on past experiences (Optaros,
Microsoft, Softway, MKS), it looks at open source software in business
from the perspective: It's just software; It's just economics; It's just
business; It's just software licensing. There's nothing inherently new
about developing good software, communities, collaboration, or IP
licensing, but the yardsticks may have changed

Pre meeting food

Please join us informally for a bite to eat at Panera Bread before the
meeting, around 5:30 P.M.  Panera is in the 29th street mall, east of
Highway 36/28th street near Walnut.

--
Boulder Linux User Group
http://lug.boulder.co.us